Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Entrace Slip - Grade

My views and thoughts in regard to grades are rather conflicted. As a student in high school, I absolutely loved report card day. That is because my academic performance has always been among the top. However, at the same time, I know many people who hated those report card days for the opposite reason in terms of academic performance. Thinking from the perspective of a teacher however, I feel giving out assessment is crucial for the development of students. The question then becomes whether giving out letter grades is the best option. I think letter grade works brilliantly as a tool for segregation and categorization. Letter grade will make those who are self-motivated or competitive, such as myself, work harder, and find the acknowledgement in the form of letter grade rewarding. At the same time, it will discourage those who doesn't feel the same way. Regardless, it will form a categorization among the students - the "smart" ones and those who aren't. Right now, I really can't see teaching Math or Science, specifically, without incorporating some sort of statistical and numerical assessment. In both subjects, things are very structured, and empirical measurement is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment